Skip the long wait times at restaurants this holiday and treat your sweetie to an exquisite homemade brunch. To help you plan the perfect brunch, we have put together a five-item menu that will impress your valentine. Who doesn’t love mimosas and french toast?
Cocktail: Amour a Mosa
Kick off your romantic brunch with a Mosa.
Recipe By: Stephen Phillips
1 chilled bottle of Champagne
1 1/2 oz. vodka, infused with orange
1 oz. chilled mango juice
1 oz. chilled orange juice
1 fresh viola, pansy or nasturtium flower, depending on your color mood (these are edible, but make sure no chemicals have been added)
1.Pour vodka and juices in a chilled fluted glass, and fill the rest of the glass with Champagne.
2.Garnish by placing one of the edible flowers atop the drink.
Red Velvet French Toast Stuffed with Vanilla Cheesecake:
This French toast will take you to Red Velvet heaven.
Recipe By: Cafe Delites
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon vinegar set aside and allowed to “sour” for 5 minutes)
2 tablespoons sugar (or natural granulated sweetener)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons red food colouring (30 mls | 1oz)
8 slices bread, halved (so you end up with 16 bread halves)
Vanilla Bean Cheesecake Filling:
8oz (250g) tub reduced fat cream cheese
2 tablespoons sugar (or natural granulated sweetener)
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- For French Toast: Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, sugar, vanilla, food coloring and cocoa in a shallow bowl until smooth and lump free.
- Alternatively, combine these ingredients in a small blender or magic bullet cup; blend until smooth and transfer the egg wash to a large shallow bowl.
- Dip bread slices into egg wash and press lightly a few times to soak through completely. Flip each slice and repeat with each bread until slices all are evenly coated.
- Heat a large nonstick pan/skillet over low-medium heat and fry the bread in batches of 3 or 4, turning once until just cooked through. Remove and place onto a warmed plate.
For Cheesecake Filling: While french toast is frying, make your cheesecake filling. Combine the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla paste in a medium sized bowl, and whip until light and fluffy. Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of filling onto 6 toast halves; spread to evenly coat; top with remaining toast halves to create a sandwich. Drizzle with melted chocolate; top with remaining cream (optional); dust with icing/confectioners sugar and serve with berries
Pan-fried Fingerling potatoes with Bacon
Delicious, crispy brunch side dish.
Recipe By: Kacey
1½ lbs fingerling potatoes, sliced into ¼-1/2 inch rounds.
6-7 slices of bacon (I used half of a 375 g package) sliced lengthwise and then into smaller pieces.
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp. freshly chopped rosemary
5-7 sage leaves (depending on size)
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until fork tender (do not overcook!) Drain and rinse under cool water to stop the cooking process. Pat dry.
- Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until desired doneness is reached, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan (but leave all that bacon grease in the pan!)
- Add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want a nice golden brown colour to them.
- Stir in bacon, rosemary, garlic, and sage. I left the sage whole for added flavour, and it can be easily picked out. Cook for a couple of minutes or until garlic is nice and aromatic.
Hashbrown Egg Nests with Avocado
Eggs, bacon, and cheese all in a potato bowl??? D-E-L-I-S-H
Recipe By: Farah
15 oz frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 medium eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1 tablespoon Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
2 avocados, sliced and chilled
- Mix hash browns, salt, pepper, olive oil and 1 cup Cheddar cheese in a mixing bowl
- Grease the muffin pan and divide hash brown mixture. Use your fingers to pack them tightly and shape them into nests
- Bake at 425 degrees F or until the edges have browned and the cheese has melted, about 15 minutes
- Crack a medium egg into each nest and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Top with crumbled bacon, 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese and parsley
- Bake at 350 degrees F until the egg whites set, about 13 to 16 minutes
- Let it cool, gently slide a knife along the edges and use a fork to lift it out of the pan
- Dish and serve with chilled avocado slices
Create your own omelet with hearty veggies, your choice of meat, and cheese. YUM!
Recipe By: Chef Menus
You will need space for:
A sturdy heatproof table (no smaller then card table size)
One or two stand alone electric cooktops
One or two 8-inch omelet pans or non-stick skillets
Mixing bowls and forks for beating the eggs. Two rubber spatulas or wooden forks for cooking
Paper towels for wiping pans.Damp towel to wipe up spills
Bowls and spoons to hold filling items. Line up bowls on the table so guests can choose their favorites
Serving plates on or near the omelet bar
Prepare as many or as few filling items as you wish. For each omelet, in total, add about 2-3 tablespoons of one or several fillings. Avoid over stuffing of adding too many moist ingredients. This will reduce the risk of the omelet tearing when you flip it out of the pan
Cheese: shredded or crumbled cheddar. jack, blue, feta, parmesan
Vegetables: Finely chopped mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, fresh spinach leaves, plum tomatoes, sweet pepper, avocado, hot pepper. shallots. green onion, red onion and garlic. For best flavor, vegetables should be seasoned and steamed or lightly sautéed in butter. If that’s not possible, make sure they are finely diced or chopped. Season when placed on omelet, before folding.
Seasonings: Salt, freshly ground pepper, cayenne, chili powder, curry powder.
Seasonings can be lightly beaten directly into the eggs or scattered on top of the other fillings
Meats/seafood: Crisply cooked bacon, fully cooked ham, prosciutto, browned and drained italian or pork sausage, small cooked shrimp, crabmeat or lobster
Watermelon, Blackberry, and Mint Salad
Easy-to-make, refreshing fruit salad.
Recipe By: Maria and Josh
3 cups cubed watermelon
1 1/2 cups blackberries
2 tablespoons finely chopped mint leaves
Juice of one lime
1. In a large bowl, combine watermelon, blackberries, and mint. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the fruit. Gently toss and serve.
Find the perfect stylish brunch outfit for your Valentine’s Day date here.